Today was our first day of practice for the 2013-2014 short course season. We started out with some freestyle flotation drills.
These are designed to get the athletes thinking about their body position in a static environment. After focusing on body position and feel for the water in the floating position, we move into what I have come to call the “Restart Position”.
Restart is designed to heighten the athletes awareness of body position and feel for the water in a dynamic environment (please see: http://proswimworkouts.com/workouts/07042013-am-walter-schroeder-aquatic-center-schroeder-north-group-3).
Each drill after re-start work builds on this foundation (perfect body lines)
Year 2, Season 1, Week 1, Day 1, Practice 1 (09/09/2013 PM)
1018 Days until 2016 US Olympic Swimming Trials
400 swim (mix-it-up)
- “X” position
- “Y” position
- “I” position
Re-Start Position (freestyle, kick only)
- Bottom arm extended and is in perfect alignment with body (think “I” position)
- Top arm: elbow in line with side, hand draped over the stomach
- Head is down, eyes are forward
- DO NOT PUSH OFF THE WALL, start from 0 mph
12 x 25 on :45, Kick in Re-start Position (Freestyle)
- Most efficient (in terms of energy consumption per duration)
- The style you want to utilize the majority of the time
- Characterized by a hip rotation, followed by a shoulder rotation – The arm extends and the glide occurs on the hip.
12 x 25 on :45 – Kick in Freestyle Re-start Position
12 x 25 on 45 – Kick/Drill Progression
3: 1-12 Drill – 3: 1-6 Drill – 3: 1-3 Drill – 3: 3-3 Drill
24 x 25 on :30
odd: Easy Swim – even: Dive Sprint (Freestyle, swing dive only)
600 cool-down (every 4th – 25 = 1-12 Drill)
WORKOUT TOTAL: 2500
The rest of the practices in this week are available in a bundle for purchase. This free workout was provided by Walter Schroeder Aquatic Center / Schroeder YMCA Swim Team Head Age Group Coach Harmilee Cousin III.