This is a session plan for a 75 minute session for GB ASA stage 8 swimmers I did last week. The kids were about 8-9 years old. Focus is always on technique and basic aerobic development.
The 10x75m breast means they get practice breast-breast turns and breast-FC turns. I probably could’ve got them going off faster times, but it’s all about technique at such a young age. I like to break the stroke down into kick / pull and then put it together.
Workout Competitive Development ASA NPTS Stage 8
6 x 75m LIFO as 2 FC – Breathe every 3 strokes, 2 FC kick, 2 FC – breathe every 4 strokes
FOCUS IS TUMBLE TURNS!!!
Breaststroke Technique + (EN1) Aerobic Development:
2 x 25m breast kick off approx 1:30
- Push out with ankles, whip legs together and squeeze
- Hold glide for count 2
4 x 25m breaststroke 2 kicks / 1 pull off 1:15
- Keep hands and elbows in front of chest
- Bring together in praying position and slide forward
- Hold streamline for count 2 after kick and recovery
- Always looking at hands. Move head!
10 x 75m as 50m breast, 25m FC off 2:30ish
- Excellent technique. Hold glide for count 2 on breast!
- Slide hands forward on FC entry before pulling back
- Fast turns, bounce off wall into streamlined position
Dives from deep end to half way. Go thru IM.
- Practice streamline & fly kicks
WORKOUT TOTAL: 1450
This workout was provided by Haden Hill SC Coach Matthew Lowe.